a fashion & lifestyle blog

Pages

Advent Calendar


It's been a while since I showed up here talking about something other than my growing baby bump. But we're right in the midst of my favorite time of year and I'm so excited to be kicking December off this weekend with one of my favorite holiday traditions--our Advent calendar!

Aurora saw me bringing it up from the basement this afternoon and got so excited. We just started doing one a few years ago and I love seeing her rush downstairs each morning to see what fun the calendar holds for the day. This year will likely be a bit scaled back from previous years since things have been so crazy lately, but I wanted to share some of the things we'll be doing, as well as some things we've included in the past. 

The first thing I do is go through our Google calendar to figure out what things should be done on weekends (when there's more time) or what things Jose would definitely want to be a part of, as well as what things have to happen on a certain date. Then I fill in the rest. The first couple years, I totally felt the need to make each and every day super exciting. With having an extra baby in the mix last year, it didn't take long before I was overwhelmed trying to keep up with the activities and before I knew it, I was dreading it all together. Luckily, Aurora loves chocolate and is totally fine with me just throwing a few chocolates in on the days that we just won't be able to fit something extra in. Here's our list:

Put Christmas decorations up and watch It's A Wonderful Life
Take toys to toy drive
Go see Santa
Make Christmas cards for grandparents
Write a letter to Santa
Watch The Santa Clause while sipping hot cocoa
Take treats to animal shelter
Make a gingerbread house
Celebrate Zoey's birthday (Technically we celebrate the day we brought her home.)
Make candy necklaces while watching Elf
Make Christmas cookies for friends/neighbors/etc.
Take a Christmas gift to teacher
Watch Home Alone while eating pizza for dinner
Camp out by the Christmas tree
Take a Christmas gift to friend
Go look at Christmas lights
Set out milk, cookies, and reindeer food
Take food to local food pantry
Serve meal at homeless shelter
Decorate the Christmas tree with candy canes
Take a bubble bath with glow sticks
Make washi tape decorations on the wall
Go see The Nutcracker
Make and hang paper snowflakes
Make Christmas snack mix

Again, not all of these made it onto our calendar this year. And some things we haven't ever done yet, but would like to in the future. Also Aurora is getting older and might not enjoy some things as much as she used to, but Holden and Baby #3 will love to do. (Aurora will just get extra chocolate those days.) If this is a tradition for any of you, I would love to hear what you do. I'm always trying to think of new things to do to switch it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment